My Photo
Name:
Location: Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Monday, June 25, 2007

Community Vlad Points the Way

OK I admit it, I still forget to come add stuff here.
The other day Vlad wrote a really thought provoking piece called http://www.vladville.com/2007/06/why-are-we-losing-these-great-community-resources.html and I blasted it out across the lists, but forgot to post it here also.

Since then he has gotten a lot of responses saying what can I do, so he once again wrote a great articled called http://www.vladville.com/2007/06/how-can-i-contribute-to-the-community.html. About the only thing I take exception to in the article is how he sluff's off folks with stage fright or what ever you want to call it. I personally do quite a bit for the community, but am just unable to get up on stage and present or profess or what ever you want to call it. To me it is a real stumbling block. So don't let his comments discourage you, take it from me, there are still many things you can do to contribute without hopping up on the stage.

Don't just go to the meetings to be entertained, offer up some content. Provide feedback, I run a group of about 70 folks (on our list anyways) about 2 dozen of whom show up regularly. Yet if I send out any message to the group that requires a response, I can count on 4 for sure and maybe 2 or 3 others that's it. Yet if you ask the majority of them they will tell you they are active in the community. Take a look at how you respond. When you go to a TS2 or TechNet event do you make your presence know to the presenter? Do you mention your group, they will be happy put in a plug for it. Do you offer help? It doesn't cost a thing, but it does help our community. Become one of the folks that answers more questions than you ask. It doesn't matter, answer the easy ones and ask the hard ones, just start to contribute.

I am not going to relist everything he posted, it was a great list. But just keep in mind what he said was not the gospel on how it has to be done, it was meant to get you thinking about what you could do. There are no set rules it is a freely developing community, so just jump in and join the fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home